Historical City of Nizamabad:
Nizamabad is a city and a municipal corporation in Nizamabad District of Telangana, India. It is also known as Indur and is the headquarters of the Nizamabad district. According to the Indian census (2011), the population is recorded as 310,467 which makes it the third most populous city in Telangana.
Nizmabad city is one of 36 mandals in the Nizamabad district, located 171 kilometres (106 mi) north of the state capital, Hyderabad. Nizamabad was formerly known as Induru and Indrapuri. It was ruled by the king Indra Vallabha Panthya Varsha Indra Som, of the Rashtrakuta Dynasty, in the 8th century, and took its name from him.Nizamabad was ruled by the king Nizam in the 18th century, and took its name from him.
In 1905 the railway line between Secundrabad and Manmad was constructed. The city is 161 km (100 mi) from Hyderabad and 640 km (400 mi) from Mumbai. The Nizam Sagar dam was constructed in 1923 across the Manjira River at the village of Achampet. It irrigates 250,000 acres (1,000 km2; 390 sq mi) of land in Nizamabad District. as been developed to include a dharmashala, protected water supply, garden etc.
Nizamabad Travel Information:
Lake Asok Sagar:has a neatly laid out garden, and a 18 ft (5.5 m) statue of Goddess Saraswati in the middle of the lake, just 7 km (4.3 mi) away from Nizamabad on the way to Basar. There is a swinging bridge and an octagonal shaped restaurant. It is interesting to note that the lake and its facilities are named as Asok Sagar, to honor one Collector, Asok Kumar, who had developed this. Ali Sagar is a lake with a hill top view. The famous Basar Saraswati Temple is located 35 km (22 mi) from here. Basar temple is the only other Saraswati Temple in south India.
Archaeological and Heritage Museum:
This museum was opened in October 2001. The District Archaeological Museum houses number of artifacts and antiquities representing the evolution of human civilization right from Paleolithic to Vijaya Nagar Times (i.e. 16th. A.D). The Museum is broadly divided into three sections, namely Archaeological Section, Sculptural gallery and Bronze and Decorative gallery. Bidri articles and arms and weapons of extensive variety are also exhibited.
Originally known as Indoor or Indrapuri, the city and fort were built by the Rashtrakutas. There is a 40 ft (12 m) high monolithic victory pillar built during the Rashtrakuta reign. The fort was occupied by Alauddin Khilji in 1311 A.D. and subsequently went into the hands of the Bahmani Sultanate, the Qutb Shahi dynasty , and then the Asaf Jahi dynasty . The present fort has a wide area encircled by masonry walls along with huge bastions at the corners. This 10th Century fort of the Rashtrakutas has continued to be of strategic importance right down to the Asaf Jahis. The present fort reflects the Asaf Jahi style of architecture with spacious halls and a summer house. Adding importance to the fort is the Bada Rammandir Temple, built by Samarth Ram Das, the guru of Chatrapathi Shivaji. The fort offers a panoramic view of the Nizamabad city and its surroundings.
This village has a rice and sugarcane research center. It is operational from nearly 50 years and recently an agriculture polytechnic college was started here.
Mallaram Forest is just 7 km (4.3 mi) away from Nizamabad. Ensconced in Sylvan surroundings it is the perfect place for eco-tourism. Forest treks, a pagoda and a view point tower are main attractions.
Alisagar is 10 km (6.2 mi) from Nizamabad and 2 km (1.2 mi) off the Nizamabad-Basar road. The forest spread along with the summer house, well laid out gardens, an island and hilltop guest house make it a favored getaway. Adding to the attraction is the deer park and facilities for trekking and water sports.
Armoor Road - Located on the highway, Armoor is a natural stopover for all traffic. The hillock of boulders is the result of natural weathering over millions of years. On top of hillock is the Navanatha Siddeswara temple. The local people believe that Navanathas or Siddhas, venerable sages, still live in the natural caves and caverns of these hillocks. The water spot nearby area has been drawing people in large numbers for it is believed that the water has curative powers, healing chronic diseases and disabilities.
Domakonda is 4 km (2.5 mi) off the main highway and 15 km (9.3 mi) from Kamareddy. Domakonda was a Samsthanam under Qutubshahis and Asaf Jahis. The Reddy rulers of Domakonda Samsthanam built the fort in the 18th century at a sight where a fort existed earlier. The entrance to the fort has an arched gateway reflecting Asaf Jahis influence. The fort has bastions both square as well as circular, built at irregular intervals. Inside the fort are two palaces and a temple complex. The temple dedicated to Shiva was built on stellate plan, imitating the telangana style of architecture. This fort is an example of the defence architecture of the princely states of Telangana.